[From Frank’s Delphi Lessons] I read up on Body Physiology a few years ago, and found some fascinating facts:
1) Your Brain only burns 98% Glucose (short chain Carbohydrate – Honey)
2) Your Heart burns 80% Fat and 20% Glucose.
3) Glucose (Honey) is similar to Sucrose (Table Sugar) in all ways
4) Glucose and Sucrose are processed in your Stomach (fast within 15 minutes)
5) Fructose (Fruit Sugar) is similar to Glucose,
except Fructose is processed in your Gut (slow – 1 to 2 hours)
6) Glucose leaves ashes (lactic acid) that must be removed by your blood stream
7) Fat burns with no ashes. Fat turns into CO2 and Water.
Your Brain burns Glucose because it has a tremendous blood flow system
Your Heart burns Fat because fat has 2 times the energy density as Glucose,
and your Heart does not need your blood stream to carry away all the ashes (there are no ashes)
8) For its size, our Brain burns energy 8 times faster than any other muscle.
9) Thinking burns a ton of Glucose.
10) If you are mentally tired, eat Glucose (Honey) or Sucrose (Sugar) for quick a energy boost;
that is fast acting (15 min).
Not long chain Carbohydrates like Bread which take hours to digest.
11) Conclusion: Even though Sugar is not that good for you;
When you are programming, Sugar can improve your mental energy.